Have you been lucky enough to receive one of our deliciously fruity conserves or jams over the festive period? Hopefully the jar's not quite empty just yet, as we've got a tasty treat for you!
In this video, Darren Sivewright, Baxters Innovation Chef and Culinary Lead, bakes a batch of tasty scones, topping with a generous dollop of fresh clotted cream and our Limited Edition Blackcurrant and Cassis Conserve.
- 350g self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 85g butter, cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 175ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- squeeze lemon juice (see tips below)
- beaten egg, to glaze
- Baxters Limited Edition Blackcurrant and Cassis Conserve (Baxters Limited Edition Damson and Sloe Gin Conserve or Baxters Limited Edition Figgy Pudding Jam are also delicious!) and clotted cream, to serve
How To Bake:
- Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Tip the self-raising flour into a large bowl with ¼ tsp salt and the baking powder, then mix.
- Add the butter, then rub in with your fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs. Stir in the caster sugar.
- Put the milk into a jug and heat in the microwave for about 30 secs until warm, but not hot. Add the vanilla extract and a squeeze of lemon juice, then set aside for a moment.
- Put a baking tray in the oven. Make a well in the dry mix, then add the liquid and combine it quickly with a cutlery knife – it will seem pretty wet at first.
- Scatter some flour onto the work surface and tip the dough out. Dredge the dough and your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it’s a little smoother. Pat into a round about 4cm deep. Take a 5cm cutter (smooth-edged cutters tend to cut more cleanly, giving a better rise) and dip it into some flour. Plunge into the dough, then repeat until you have four scones. You may need to press what’s left of the dough back into a round to cut out another four.
- Brush the tops with a beaten egg, then carefully arrange on the hot baking tray. Bake for 10 mins until risen and golden on the top. Eat just warm or cold on the day of baking, generously topped with Baxters Limited Edition Blackcurrant and Cassis Conserve (Baxters Limited Edition Damson and Sloe Gin Conserve or Baxters Limited Edition Figgy Pudding Jam are also delicious!) and clotted cream.