Calling all choco-holics! We have a seriously indulgent dessert for you that will delight any all-important visiting guests, family and friends. And most importantly; it’s for you (self care at its finest!)
Our Chocolate Roulade recipe, created by Group Innovation Manager & Head Chef for Baxters Darren Silvewright, has a luxuriously tasty cherry twist to it.
By using the Cherry & Kirsch Jam from the Audrey Baxter Signature Range you’ll enjoy a light and fluffy chocolate sponge sumptuously filled with this sweet and rich treat.
Cherry & Kirsch Jam
This luscious fruity jam combines the sweetness of black cherries and the harmonious balance of Kirsch giving this jam a vibrant depth of flavour.
It’s the perfect addition to any kind of baking that you’re doing; it’s beautifully rich flavour really comes through and brings any sweet treat to life. Learn more about our Cherry & Kirsch Jam here.
Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a novice in the kitchen, the aroma of your chocolate roulade as it bakes will simply enchant and excite. Fill your home with beautiful baking aromas to entice visitors and guests round for a slice of homemade cherry roulade heaven.
Let’s dive right into it and create a culinary masterpiece!
To make our Chocolate Roulade with a Cherry Twist...
Serves: 8 people
Time: 20 mins prep, 10 mins cook, 45 mins decorating (while allowing 30 mins to cool)
- 125g caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 50g cocoa powder
- 75g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Jar Audrey Baxter Signature Cherry and Kirsch Jam
- 300ml double cream
- 25g icing sugar
- 300g butter
- 100g icing sugar
- 400g dark chocolate, melted
- Whole cherries to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 190C. Line a Swiss roll tin with baking parchment, generously butter it, and dust with cocoa powder.
- In a bowl, sieve together the flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and caster sugar with an electric mixer until the mixture becomes thick, light, and fluffy.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the egg and sugar mixture using a large spoon. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the surface is firm to the touch.
- While the sponge is baking, whip the double cream with the icing sugar until it forms stiff peaks.
- Allow the sponge to cool slightly, then turn it out onto another sheet of greaseproof paper sprinkled with caster sugar. Spread a generous layer of Audrey Baxter's Signature Cherry and Kirsch Jam evenly over the surface, followed by the whipped cream.
- Carefully and quickly, roll the sponge as tightly as possible, ensuring not to squeeze out the delectable filling.
- Now allow the chocolate roulade to cool for 30 minutes. It’s very important to let your cake cool before decorating; if you decorate too quickly, your toppings will melt! In the meantime, you can being the prep work for your toppings…
Topping Your Chocolate Roulade
- For the luxurious topping, beat together the butter and icing sugar. Fold in the melted dark chocolate and allow the mixture to cool until it reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Generously spread the chocolate topping over the rolled sponge, dust with icing sugar, and crown your creation with whole cherries.
And now, enjoy your special Baxters of Scotland Chocolate Roulade!
Please do share your culinary creation with us on social media by tagging @baxtersofscotland on Facebook and Instagram.
Why not spread the love? Our Signature Cherry and Kirsch Jam is currently available in the following gifts: The Balmoral, The Chef’s Larder, The Afternoon Tea Hamper, The Christmas Banquet and The Christmas Signature Box